Assistant Director of Public Works
What the city does
One of the lesser known duties of the city is to provide stormwater management services. This involves:
- Providing the public with information on how to reduce stormwater runoff.
- Monitoring construction sites for correct stormwater practices.
- Testing stormwater runoff for harmful chemicals and reporting to the Kansas Department of Health and Enviornment.
- Evaluating stormwater runoff problem sites and planning for capital projects to improve runoff.
What residents can do to reduce stormwater runoff pollution
- Use fertilizers sparingly and sweep up driveways, sidewalks, and roads.
- Never dump anything down storm drains.
- Vegetate bare spots in your yard.
- Compost your yard waste.
- Avoid pesticides; learn about integrated pest management (IPM).
- Direct downspouts away from paved surfaces.
- Take your car to the car wash instead of washing it in the driveway.
- Check car for leaks, and recycle motor oil.
- Pick up after your pet.
- Inspect and pump you septic tank regularly.
More information can be found on the Environmental Protection Agency website.
City of Kechi Documents