KECHI CITY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES
Thursday, July 12, 2012 6 PM
Mayor Robert Jackson called the regular meeting of the Kechi City Council to order, the time was 6:00 PM.
Council Present: David McConnaughhay, Brian Adams, Virginia Riemann, Debbie Jacobs & Kevin Opat.
The Mayor stated the council would need to have an executive session at 6:45 PM for non-elected personnel prior to beginning of the regular meeting,
Motion by Virginia Riemann to go into executive session at 6:45 PM for non-elected personnel for 5 minutes. Second by David McConnaughhay. Motion carried 5-0-0.
Sandra McConnaughhay stated on behalf of the Over 55 Club that they knew the 2013 Budget was tight and if the city needed the $2500.00 they give to the senior group, the club felt they could manage without it.
6 PM 2013 BUDGET WORKSHOP
Sally Lane, City Treasurer thanked Brian Adams & David McConnaughhay for their help with the budget.
She presented the proposed 2013 Budget and answered any questions the council had. There was discussion regarding the delinquent specials and the impact it had on the budget. The 2013 budget as presented had no increase to the mill levy.
EXECUTIVE SESSION –Non elected personnel
Motion by Virginia Riemann to go into executive session for 5 minutes for non-elected personnel to include Interim Chief of Police, Walter Kuykendall. Second by David McConnaughhay. Motion carried 5-0-0. The time was 6:45 PM
REGULAR SESSION 7 PM
Staff Present: Laura Hill, City Clerk; Sally Lane, City Treasurer; Walter Kuykendall, Chief of Police; Norman Manley, City Attorney; Robert Conger, City Administrator.
Visitors Present: Matt Heilman, Ark Valley News; Sandra McConnaughhay, Fred Dimick, Victoria Jackson, Mr. & Mrs. Richard Wolf, Robin Clements, Candidate for Kansas House of Representative, Rick Eberhard, Patricia Hayes.
I. CALL TO ORDER/ROLL CALL
A. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
B. OATH OF OFFICE – Laura Hill, City Clerk administered the Oath of Office to Robert Conger, the newly hired City Administrator.
C. APPROVE CONSENT AGENDA
Motion by Kevin Opat to approve the consent agenda. Second by Debbie Jacobs. Motion carried 5-0-0.
- Approve the minutes of the special meeting of June 14, 2012 held prior to the regular meeting of June 14th.
- Approve the minutes of special meetings of July 2, 2012.
- Approve the minutes of June 28, 2012 with corrections.
- Authorization for the Zoning Administrator to attend the Planning & Zoning Workshop, Saturday, August 18, 2012 at a cost of $95 and to be held in Wichita at Hotel Old Town.
- Approve Appropriation Ord. #666
D. APPROVE AGENDA
Motion by Debbie Jacobs to approve the regular agenda. Second by Kevin Opat. Motion carried 5-0-0.
A. PUBLIC FORUM
1. Patricia Hayes, resident at 227 Cherokee Ct., concerns over the amount of Fireworks, stating she had them on her roof, driveway, back yard etc. from the neighbor’s celebration. She stated she was concerned for the safety of her home. Also, stated she was unable to clean up the debris in her yard due to health issues. Would like to see the council limit the dates, times and height.
2. Sandra McConnaughhay spoke on behalf of the Kechi Fair Committee and invited everyone to the retirement reception for the Post Master on Wednesday from 8-12 to 1-4.
3. Robin Clements, Candidate for Kansas House of Representatives; asking for Kechi’s support in the upcoming election. She stated she had walked all of Kechi and would be the communities voice in Topeka.
B. CIVIC GROUPS
1. Historical Building – Richard Wolf stated the concrete block had been curing for a couple of weeks and they were waiting for Brian to have a concrete job nearby so they could file the blocks.
2. Park Board – Jack McCormick said construction had begun for the irrigation system for the trees.
3. Chamber of Commerce- Janet Faust asked for volunteers to work the Artisan Lane Event September 1st.
C. FIREWORKS –Robert Conger, City Administrator asked that he, the Chief of Police and Larry Kallenberger, City Superintendent; review the city’s ordinances regarding fireworks and bring back a proposal or recommendation at a future meeting.
D. DEPARTMENT REPORTS
CITY ADMINISTRATOR – Robert Conger stated he would like to meet one on one with each of the council members. He had talked with Ty Laser, Bel Aire City Manager regarding the community development grant and they had a tentative arrangement to meet.
He had looked at a couple of code enforcement complaints and would get with Larry when he returned from vacation.
CHIEF OF POLICE – Walter Kuykendall, Interim Police Chief reported that Chief Blevins would start work on Monday. The department had issued several speeding citations. The officers are looking into some online training offered thru KLETC –which would save the city some training fees. Looking forward to hiring a new Police Clerk.
Mayor Jackson thanked interim Chief Kuykendall for his help rebuilding the department and hiring 2 full time officers and 3 part time officers and the Chief. Kuykendall stated he felt that there was a positive outlook for Kechi.
TREASURER – Sally Lane presented the financial statement for the month ending June 30, 2012.
Also presented a YTD to date budget comparison.
Asked the council for authorization to publish the budget summary announcing the time and date for the Public Hearing on the 2013 proposed budget
Debbie Jacobs suggested the council consider raising the mill levy 1 mill for the publication as it cannot be raised after it has been published.
Motion by Virginia Riemann to authorize the publication of the 2013 proposed budget as presented setting the public hearing for August 9th at 7 PM. Second by Debbie Jacobs. Motion carried 5-0-0.
CITY CLERK- Laura Hill reported on a piece of property in town that would go up for sale at the sheriffs’ sale on July 23 at 1:30 PM. The property is a vacant lot directly behind 319 Tomahawk.
She asked if the council was interested in sending a representative to bid on the property. No interest or action.
MAYOR – Robert Jackson said the city had received a request from a daughter of a resident for monetary support for the 2012 Fashionetta. He stated in the past the city had declined such support. No action.
Mayor Jackson also asked for adoption of the new Personnel Policy.
Motion by Brian Adams to adopt the new Personnel Policy effective today. Second by Virginia Riemann. Motion carried 5-0-0.
Kevin Opat stated he had talked with his brother who was a sprinkler system installer and asked if there was a filter between the well and the system. Jack McCormick, park board member stated he did not know but would find out. Kevin stated if not we needed to make sure they was one as the system could plug up if there was not one.
III. NEW BUSINESS
Sewer Rate Increase – Sally Lane stated the sewer & sewer reserve funds had the largest city at large obligation for debt service. In order to help make those payments she suggested an increase to the base sewer rate. She proposed .50 cents to $1.00. Robert Conger, City Administrator; suggested an increase of $5.00. There was some discussion on this item. No action. Bring back the recommendation and resolution to the next meeting.
IV. OLD BUSINESS-none
Motion by Virginia Riemann to adjourn. Second by Debbie Jacobs. Motion carried 5-0-0. The time was 8:30 PM
Robert Jackson, Mayor Laura Hill, City Clerk